What is Magic Missile?
Magic Missile is a 1st level evocation spell, which is only natively available to Sorcerers, and Wizards. It requires vocal and somatic components and takes an action to cast. When cast it creates three darts of force that can hit a creature within 120 feet. You can direct all three darts to a single creature, or split them up among multiple creatures. Each dart deals 1d4+1 force damage and hits automatically without needing an attack roll or saving throw.
If you cast this spell with a 2nd level or higher spell slot, you add an additional dart for each spell level. For example, a 4th level casting would create six darts.
Is Magic Missile a good spell?
Magic Missile is a great spell that trades raw damage for reliability, which makes it an excellent choice for attempting to break an enemy caster’s concentration or finish off an already injured monster. This makes it a great alternative to casting a cantrip as your character increases in level.
If you want to improve this spell then a Sorcerer’s Metamagic offers many options, such as casting it as a bonus action or using Subtle Spell to prevent it from being blocked by Counter Spell. Certain features, such as a Hexblade Warlock’s Hexblade’s Curse and an Evocation Wizard’s Empowered Evocation, can add damage to the darts created by the spell.
How can you get Magic Missile?
If this spell interests you, then don’t worry! There’s a surprisingly long list of ways you can grab it:
- Sorcerer, Wizard – These classes get Magic Missile on their spell lists natively.
- Arcane Trickster (Rogue Subclass) – This Rogue can choose spells from the Wizard spell list, and can choose Magic Missile as one of their unrestricted spells as early as 3rd level.
- Eldritch Knight (Fighter Subclass) – Similar to above, this Fighter subclass can choose spells from the Wizard list and can choose Magic Missile as one of their spells as it matches their evocation restriction.
- Armorer (Artificer Subclass) – This Artificer gets Magic Missile through the Armorer Spells feature.
- Arcana Domain (Cleric Subclass) – Arcana Clerics always have Magic Missile prepared as it is one of their Domain Spells.
- Magic Initiate (Feat) – By choosing Sorcerer, or Wizard as the class spell list, you can choose Magic Missile as the spell you can cast once per day, along with two cantrips from the chosen list.
- Aberrant Dragonmark (Feat) – This half-feat allows you to bump your Constitution by +1, grab Magic Missile, and a cantrip of your choice from the Sorcerer spell list. Just be careful casting Magic Missile in case you accidentally hurt your allies if you choose to empower it with a Hit Die.
- Strixhaven Initiate (Feat) – You can get a free casting of Magic Missile with this feat by choosing any college besides Silverquill, as long as you choose the relevant spell list. In addition, you’ll also get two cantrips, the specifics depending on your choice of college.
How to roleplay the Magic Missile spell
Need some help roleplaying the Magic Missile spell? Here are some examples to help you out:
- Surrounded by a group of snarling kobolds, Amara the human wizard knows she must act quickly to protect her allies. She extends her fingers, muttering the incantation for the Magic Missile spell. Three darts of shimmering arcane energy burst forth, streaking unerringly towards the kobolds. Each projectile finds its mark, striking with a burst of force that sends the creatures reeling, buying the party precious time to regroup and counterattack.
- As the enemy rogue attempts to flee, vanishing into the shadows of the darkened alleyway, Talia the half-elf sorcerer refuses to let him escape. She concentrates, feeling the familiar surge of arcane energy building within her, and releases it as she casts Magic Missile. A trio of glowing, ethereal darts arcs through the darkness, homing in on the rogue and striking him with pinpoint accuracy. The sudden, forceful impact halts his escape and leaves him vulnerable to capture.
- In the midst of a pitched battle against a horde of undead skeletons, Daelin the dwarf evoker calls upon his mastery of the arcane to turn the tide. With a swift, practiced motion, he casts Magic Missile, and a hail of glowing energy darts erupts from his outstretched hands. The projectiles weave through the battlefield, seeking out the skeletal foes and shattering bone with their unerring strikes. One by one, the skeletons crumble to dust, the evoker’s expert command of the arcane proving too much for the shambling horde.
- As the party confronts the nefarious illusionist, they find themselves confounded by a web of dazzling illusions and misdirection. Aria the tiefling warlock, relying on the innate power of her eldritch heritage, casts Magic Missile, knowing that the spell’s accuracy will not be fooled by mere illusions. Her arcane darts pierce through the veil of deception, striking the true form of the illusionist and disrupting his concentration, allowing the party to seize the advantage and turn the tables.
- Trapped within the constricting vines of an enchanted plant, the adventurers struggle to free themselves from its grasp. Caelum the aarakocra bard, his wings pinned and unable to fly, decides to rely on the tried-and-true Magic Missile spell. He whistles a sharp, piercing tune, channeling the arcane energy into a quartet of spiraling, radiant darts. The missiles dart towards the monstrous plant, their forceful impacts severing the vines and granting the party their freedom, while also teaching the plant a harsh lesson in magical prowess.
Hopefully, this article was informative and taught you all you need to know to blast the nearest monster into a paste. if you’re interested in this spell because you’re planning to play an Armorer, then check out our Artificer guide, or If you’re interested in researching other spells then check out our spells section, Good luck out there adventurers, until next time, let loose the whistling birds!
What is Magic Missile in DnD 5E?
Magic Missile is a 1st-level evocation spell in Dungeons & Dragons (DnD) 5th edition. It allows the caster to create a barrage of magical energy bolts that deal force damage to a target creature without needing an attack or saving throw.
How does Magic Missile work in DnD 5E?
To cast Magic Missile, the caster chooses a target within range, the creature takes 1d4+1 force damage per missile. The number of missiles created by the spell increases as the caster gains levels. The missiles can be divided among different creatures.
What level spell is Magic Missile in DnD 5E?
Magic Missile is a 1st-level spell in DnD 5E.
How does Magic Missile compare to other damage spells in DnD 5E?
Magic Missile isn’t a spell that does a lot of damage, but automatically hitting creatures and the force damage type makes it very reliable, great for high AC enemies and concentrating spellcasters.
Can Magic Missile be used in conjunction with other spells or abilities in DnD 5E?
Yes, Magic Missile can be used in conjunction with other spells or abilities in DnD 5E. For example, a Sorcerer can use Metamagic options when casting it for different benefits, such as casting it as a bonus action.
Who can cast Magic Missile in DnD 5E?
Magic Missile can be cast by Sorcerers and Wizards, but for a full list of how to grab this spell see the article above.