What is Jump?
Jump is a 1st level transmutation spell available to Artificers, Druids, Rangers, Sorcerers, and Wizards with more ways to get it we’ll go into later. It requires vocal, somatic, and material (a grasshopper’s hind leg) and an action to cast, when you cast it you touch a creature and triple their jumping distance for 1 minute.
Note: This allows you to jump further than you normally can, but you still need movement left to complete your jump.
Is Jump a good spell?
It’s an okay spell that players will either find really fun or never use, it is held back by not giving you additional movement for the jump. This spell is best used in conjunction with another spell, like Longstrider, or on characters with higher movement speeds, such as Monks and Barbarians. Monks can even use Jump with Step of the Wind to jump six times their normal limit, and they’ll even have the movement speed to jump that far in one turn and can use Slow Fall to break their fall!
How can you get Jump?
Jump is one of the more easily accessible spells, so if it interests you then you’ll be happy to hear that you have a plethora of ways to gain access to it:
- Artificer, Druid, Ranger, Sorcerer, and Wizard – All of these classes have Jump on their spell lists, allowing you to choose it as you would any other spell.
- Arcane Trickster (Rogue Subclass) – This subclass can choose spells from the Wizard spell list, you will have to use an unrestricted spell choice to pick up Jump.
- Eldritch Knight (Fighter Subclass) – The same as the above, including having to use an unrestricted spell choice to choose Jump.
- Otherworldly Leap (9th level Warlock Invocation) – This invocation allows you to cast Jump on yourself at will, without needing material components. This is one of the best ways to get Jump, as you can use it as much as you want without draining other resources. Want to commute to the local dungeon like The Incredible Hulk? This is the invocation for you.
- Magical Secrets (Bard Class Feature) – This feature allows you to choose any spell you want and turn it into a Bard spell for you. If you don’t want to wait until Tier 3 to grab Jump with this feature you can get it at 6th level as a College of Lore Bard. This is not a good use of this feature, as there are many powerful spells you could otherwise choose.
- Githyanki (Subrace) – From 3rd level onwards you can cast Jump once per long rest without requiring any components.
- Artificer Initiate (Feat) – This feat will let you choose a cantrip and spell, which you can cast once per long rest, from the Artificer spell list. You also gain proficiency in one type of Artisan’s tools that you can use as a spellcasting focus for any spells you use Int as the spellcasting modifier for.
- Magic Initiate (Feat) – With this feat, you can choose one of the spell lists that contain Jump (Druid, Sorcerer, or Wizard) and cast it once per day, in addition to gaining two cantrips of your choice from that same spell list.
- Strixhaven Initiate (Feat) – Any school you choose, with the exception of Silverquill, will allow you to choose Jump, as well as two cantrips from a limited selection.
Hopefully, this article put enough spring in your step to make a harengon jealous, if you’re interested in reading about other spells then check out our spells section. Good luck out there adventurers, and remember to look before you leap.